Attention: The deadline for the 2017-2019 CLEAR award submittals has been extended to May 1st, 2017. Awardees will be named by May 31st, 2017.
Current CLEAR Winners:
Fossil Ridge High School – two stars
Grandview High School – three stars
Peak to Peak Charter High School – three stars
Pomona High School
Ralston Valley High School
CCFLT is excited to continue its Colorado Language Excellence & Achievement Recognition (CLEAR) Awards program again this year. The CLEAR Awards are meant to identify and recognize exemplary Colorado high school world language programs, and to encourage Colorado school officials, board members, and parents to use CLEAR programs as examples of programs that enable students to demonstrate proficiency of world language standards.
These awards provide outside validation of the good work you are doing for your administration, school board, parents and students. They also provide a standards-based tool to help improve language programs, boost student enrollment, and provide departmental focus and unity. This is not a competition. Any school that meets the criteria will receive an award.
There are four levels of awards a school can receive, depending on how highly they score. Schools will be evaluated on the following 10 indicators:
- Maintain high percentage of total world language enrollment
- Offer an extended sequence of instruction in at least one commonly taught language
- Retention of students in higher level courses
- Provide choice of languages in a 4 year high school sequence
- Have Advance Placement, International Baccalaureate, level 5 classes, and/or College in the High School programs
- Implement key instructional practices—teachers:
- use the target language 90% of most class periods (or more) in a comprehensible way, and frequently check for understanding
- align lessons and learning targets to proficiency descriptors (what students can do with the language) across all three modes of communication
- encourage and provide daily opportunities for students to express their own meanings in the target language
- regularly integrate culture into language instruction
- Administer a school-wide, standards-based, performance assessment that cuts across languages
- Engage in yearly staff development on world language topics
- Maintain membership in professional organizations
- Provide special program features beyond the classroom environment
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
CCFLT would like to recognize the Pennsylvania State Modern Languages Association (PSMLA) and thank them for graciously sharing all of the work put into their PEP Awards, which have been used as the basis of this program.